Message Board Snake Quest Level Sets Snake Quest Editor Download Snake Quest About Snake Quest Snake Quest Home Text Navigation is at the bottom of this page.  Welcome to SnakeQuest.com!

Site Map Help Support Snake Quest Snake Quest Screenshots Snake Quest News Contact the authors of SQ Text Navigation at bottom of page

Snake Quest Forum Index Snake Quest
Snake Quest Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question About La, Lb, a, b, c, (etc.), And Skip Actions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Question About La, Lb, a, b, c, (etc.), And Skip Actions Reply with quote

We've heard about variables. well on skip actions, i figured out you can skip something like La, Lb, Lh, a, b, c (And Other Variables) Actions. I don't get this at all. Can Anyone Explain The Meaning Of This? Example: Skip La Actions, Skip S Actions, Skip Lb Actions, Skip A Actions. What Does This Mean?

I Have Thought Up Another Question Too. Since That Type Of Skip Action Is Possible, Is It Possible To Skip Other Variables Like Skip Snake Direction Actions, And Skip Snake Lives Actions?

Don Joe And Alan Would Surely Know This. Question Question Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rusty, but fairly certain that Skip La actions means that you will skip X number of actions, where X is whatever value is in La. So if La=2, then you will skip 2 actions. If La=0, then you skip zero actions. Does that make sense? I don't know if you can make it skip Snake Direction actions, but that would be a little silly -- at least, I can't think of a reason for it, though I suppose one could exist. (Snake Direction x 2 )could conceivably be used to create a Case statement of sorts, but now I've ventured out of the realm of explanation and back into the realm of obfuscation. Sorry Smile
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx. It's Ok If You Don't Know. I'm Trying To Make Up A Way To Change The Number Of Actions Skipped. That's Why I Asked. It's Probably A New Way For Me To Make Up A Set Of Actions. About The Snake Direction And Lives Thing. I Should've Figured That Myself.

Edit: User Variables Don't Work For Skip Actions. And When It Comes To L*. It Goes From La All The Way To Lh (All The Letters From a-h After L) I Haven't Tested That How Many Actions La And Vars. Mean. I'm Trying To Make A Test File. And Yet About What You Said About The Variable('s) worth into skip action, you again (on another subject) are correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
don_joe
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I tested the code:
Code:
modify variable: La = 1;
set else skip to La;
modify variable: La = 2;
compare variables: if La equals 1 ...;
It skipped exactly 1 action.

The "set else branch" seems to take only proper variables, not things like sDir. Of course, this can easily be worked around. To make a case statement for sDir, just do the following:
Code:
modify variable: La = sDir;
modify variable: La -= 1;
modify variable: La *= 2;
skip La actions;
(thing to do if sDir=1);
skip 5 actions;
(thing to do if sDir=2);
skip 3 actions;
(thing to do if sDir=3);
skip 1 action;
(thing to do if sDir=4);
Of course, this is longer, takes more effort to write, and is less readable than the conventional way of doing it...
Code:
set else skip to 1;
if snake direction is east...;
(thing to do if sDir=1);
if snake direction is south...;
(thing to do if sDir=2);
if snake direction is west...;
(thing to do if sDir=3);
if snake direction is north...;
(thing to do if sDir=4);
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I get it all. But the third one like you said, it's a bit hard to get. But I still understand it a bit too.Smile
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that Snake Quest is based on javascript?
If so, I suppose that means the level files can be programmable from other editors?

Just a thought....
www.youtube.com/thedodgyblokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat?! Wait a minute! Strange. Confused Javascript? Doubtful maybe. *Waits for Eric or Alan's response*
eric
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQ is not based on javascript.
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, because I remember DaFalcon or someone making a comment that the program runs a lot faster than javascripts or something...it was so long ago that I could be chattin shit lol.
www.youtube.com/thedodgyblokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat wrote:
I see, because I remember DaFalcon or someone making a comment that the program runs a lot faster than javascripts or something...it was so long ago that I could be chattin shit lol.

Don Joe created a java version of one of his Snake Quest Level Sets once, but it was so much slower than playing the SQ version ... it wasn't worth the increased usability. However, he has since rewritten that and the newer version runs smoothly and behaves as it ought to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Snake Quest Forum Index -> Editor All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: