Message Board Snake Quest Level Sets Snake Quest Editor Download Snake Quest About Snake Quest Snake Quest Home Text Navigation is at the bottom of this page.  Welcome to SnakeQuest.com!

Site Map Help Support Snake Quest Snake Quest Screenshots Snake Quest News Contact the authors of SQ Text Navigation at bottom of page

Snake Quest Forum Index Snake Quest
Snake Quest Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

key repeat oddness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
don_joe
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: key repeat oddness Reply with quote

This problem is so bizarre I don't even know where to begin.

Um... First. Relative controls don't behave the same way absolute controls do. (Suppose I load "Lightsabers" and start a game, with the snake moving upward. If I press absolute right followed immediately by absolute down, the snake makes a nice tight u-turn. It does the same thing if I press absolute down twice, or simply press and hold absolute down (this is because "about face" is enabled but there's an invisible blocking object behind the snake's head, which causes the first "down" command to make it bounce sideways). But if I press relative right twice, or simply press and hold it, it doesn't make a nice tight u-turn, instead making a wider one (though if I hold it, after the second turn it begins turning tightly, due to my system settings). This makes "Lightsabers" unwinnable using relative controls, since there are times in which a tight u-turn is required.) Setting kRepeat to 1 or 2 doesn't change anything.

Second. The leftmost key on the home row (which is to say "a", unless I open my International control panel and switch to a French keyboard layout, in which case it's a "q" instead) repeats the same way the relative controls do, even if it's set to be an absolute control; it's the only one I've found that does this (ones that definitely don't do this are the ones that, on a QWERTY layout, are mapped to "q", "w", "s", "d", and the four arrow keys). (Set "a" to be "absolute down". Press and hold it after starting a game of "Lightsabers". The snake makes the wide turn. Unless we're on the French layout, of course, in which case "a" works just fine but "q" has the problem, since "q" is now the leftmost key on the home row.) I tried switching keyboards, but that didn't change anything, so it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. Even though I wouldn't think that SQ would even be able to tell which key is the leftmost one on the home row.

I'm probably insane; it seems unlikely that SQ could have a bug this weird. But just in case: can anybody else replicate any of this? I'm running system 10.4.8 on a PowerBook G4.
Bent
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm both problems. I noticed something else odd... If one does relative left immediately followed by relative right (or vice versa) does execute a nice tight movement... It seems to only affect repeated / repeating relative turns. I am using 10.4.9 on an iBook G4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Snake Quest Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: