Message Board Snake Quest Level Sets Snake Quest Editor Download Snake Quest About Snake Quest Snake Quest Home Text Navigation is at the bottom of this page.  Welcome to SnakeQuest.com!

Site Map Help Support Snake Quest Snake Quest Screenshots Snake Quest News Contact the authors of SQ Text Navigation at bottom of page

Snake Quest Forum Index Snake Quest
Snake Quest Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Da Falcon's Level Hatchery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than doing what I should be doing or even doing what I should be doing in the event that I'm not doing the thing I should be doing, I have a tendency to do the thing I want to do and leave the thing I should be doing until it becomes the thing I Must be doing because there is no other option.

Uhm, more specifically rather than sleeping or doing school work, I wanted to tinker with the loops I'd purchased and try to work out a good method for getting these >100k Wav files into SQ Sounds that take up considerably less space. I also wanted to listen to as many of them as I could and start picking out candidates for use in DQ:fm1. SO I spent about two hours listening to clips, settings some aside, downloading a copy of SoundApp and batch converting the clips into 8-bit mono AIFF's, opening each in Sound Effects and grabbing bits and pieces and finally pasting them into a data file and naming them.

I have about 25 "Bass" beats now, randing from less than a tenth of a second long to just over half a second long. The sounds are in a data file weighing in at less than 250kb uncompressed.

I like the results so far, though I still have to get used to the timing as aDelay will almost always be 1 or 2.

I'm afraid I might have to make it no less than 2 though because on my 600 MHz iMac at aDelay of 1, the computer seems to be playing catch-up occasionally. I'll have to experiment more on this.

Anyway, that is all the progress to report. I have not yet turned the animations into objects and re-scripted the snake movement.

We'll see if I find any more time to do what I want to be doing rather than what I should be doing...
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: I've added 25 Synth sounds in another data file (looks like I'll have quite a few of those) for another 220kb... I also added some "robovox" sounds such as a robotic voice saying "1...2..3.4..break-it-down."
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for my non-update: I haven't returned to this project since last month, so I don't have anything to report! Smile
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly three months has passed since I last worked on any SQ level sets in any way, but I've been reading some game design articles and that had me thinking about about SitM 2.0. During one 3-hour class that I can't pay attention to for the life of me, I decided to script some parts of an interface, as well as map out my ideas for the game including new objects, uses of existing objects, level ideas, etc.

I've come up with ideas (a couple pages of pictures, scripts, descriptions and analysis), but I wanted to remind myself of what I've accomplished so far in the SitM series. So I fired up SQ, played 2 games of Sitm (even with all the lives I give the player, playing on hard I didn't get past level 6 Sad ) .... I remembered why I decided systematic level design is the only way to go. So I fired up SitM 2.0 Preview 2. Woah, I released that? I still love the objects, the sounds, the interactions... but the preview is waaay too hard! I've taken the fun out of it, except possibly in "design flaw" which I still like. "Change up" is a horror, and I don't know why I thought the speed up and slow down objects would help. Reactor is just too complicated and far too difficult to be fun. Perhaps it would work as a level 40 after the player is very familiar with everything, but even then it seems like it is too hard. Also, I the backgrounds are too busy, which I refused to see back when I first created them and was particularly attached to them Wink

One other issue I had was with SQ in general. I've always felt that things don't feel right running SQ Carbon in OS X, at least on my iMac 600. The keys are sometimes slow to respond (by only a square, but that one square is the difference between life and death). I am a better SQ player in OS 9, and I'm convinced it isn't just some mental thing Smile It makes developing an action level set for SQ somewhat undesirable these days, because who isn't running OS X? Eric, is there still nothing that can be done about this perceived problem?

Back to SitM 2.0 ... The lasers at this point don't sit well with me. They should probably only fire when a) powered AND b) have a chance of hitting the snake.... but that may be more scripting than I'm able to deal with Smile I could take a look at CI3 to try and copy something like that, but again I don't know if I could handle it Smile

What else? The speed up and slow down objects have got to go. So do most of those levels. Ick.

Interestingly, my latest ideas for SitM 2.0 involve many elements that I had originally planned and scrapped.... I'll probably remember soon why I scrapped them to begin with Smile Also, my ideas seem to be influenced heavily by Metroid Fusion for GBA, which is odd because it has been nearly a year since I played that.

My ideas are also influenced by some articles on enemy AI and how to make a dragon seem like something other than an orc that is more difficult to kill. Basically it talks about thinking of a behavior that would add to the game, and then design an enemy around that, instead of creating a creature and saying 'so what should it be able to do?'.... I'm not sure how much of it is actually applicable, but it was at least influential in some sense.

Who knows if I'll ever be able to create this, or get it to work so that it is actually fun. Especially since I feel cheated when I am playing an action SQ level set in OS X. Perhaps I will try SQ on my family's eMac 1Ghz G4 and see if that runs better for me. I want to make this set, and I want to make this set work. But wanting ... that's the easy part.
eric
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into the key issue.
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFalcon wrote:
Anyway, I'm just writing this for my own benefit so that next time I start a new project, hopefully I'll go back and read this and be able to convince that future self to spend lots of time planning all the details. Smile

Haha, thank you past self for writing me these notes! Good stuff. Smile And future future self, go ahead and read through it all again, it's worthwhile.
don_joe
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFalcon wrote:
I've always felt that things don't feel right running SQ Carbon in OS X, at least on my iMac 600. The keys are sometimes slow to respond (by only a square, but that one square is the difference between life and death).
Huh. I haven't noticed any problem. (PowerBook G4, currently 1.7 GHz but I had an older one that didn't have any problems either.) But then, at the speeds I play, I usually expect to be off by a square anyhow, so as long as rolling the keys still works (to move a rightward-moving snake one square upward, just press "up" and "right" as quickly as you can), I wouldn't care.
DaFalcon wrote:
The lasers at this point don't sit well with me. They should probably only fire when a) powered AND b) have a chance of hitting the snake.... but that may be more scripting than I'm able to deal with I could take a look at CI3 to try and copy something like that, but again I don't know if I could handle it
If I recall, CI3 just scanned outward from the snake's current position each turn, looking for things that should care about the snake's presence. (Action list "TicToc": execute action list "TicToc" in 1 turn; get snake location; call action lists "look e, look s, look w, look n. Action list "look e": if square contains a wall, stop; if square contains something that should react to us, activate it and then stop; else change location to one square east and repeat.) This could of course also be done from positions next to the snake's, if you wanted.

Well, you know my opinion on your lasers. I've always found it strange that deadly objects like laser bursts can safely pass the snake's tail, and are dangerous only if eaten.
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the level hatchery. Here I am all these years later and I've actually hatched something (someone!) real:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dafalcon/sets/72157625635256398/

And I've quit my job at Blizzard Entertainment (!!!) to go try to make iPhone games on my own. Follow my progress at:

http://www.falconempire.com/

I guess you could say that the hatchery evolved!
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Alan on your newborn. Just checked out your website.. when do you plan on releasing your first iPhone app then?? Smile

Blimey I ain't been here in YEARS... this makes me feel oooold as so much has happened to me since the golden SQ days (8-9 YEARS AGO!!!).

Anyone whos got some spare time check out my soundcloud at www.soundcloud.com/mattyhd as I am currently making LOTS of music in different genres... and I've also formed a duo band called 'The Dodgy Blokes' ... website is still under construction atm but its at www.thedodgyblokes.com

Hope everyone is well.

Peace out,
Mat.
www.youtube.com/thedodgyblokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat wrote:
when do you plan on releasing your first iPhone app then?? Smile

It's here!

Check out Beat Boxes!
Furby and the snake
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here come the furby! Here come the furby!

Good luck on your Iphone games. I myself am making games via Stencyl these days... as well as contributing music to lots of them!

There was a delay for 3 years in between 2002 and 2005, but now they're back!

Let these furbies be your friend forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Snake Quest Forum Index -> Levels All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: