Message Board Snake Quest Level Sets Snake Quest Editor Download Snake Quest About Snake Quest Snake Quest Home Text Navigation is at the bottom of this page.  Welcome to SnakeQuest.com!

Site Map Help Support Snake Quest Snake Quest Screenshots Snake Quest News Contact the authors of SQ Text Navigation at bottom of page

Snake Quest Forum Index Snake Quest
Snake Quest Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"File Size matters"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: "File Size matters" Reply with quote

OK I was kindda pleased with myself after managing to create the GUI,but now I have put the three DATA files together along with the MW3 level file.........and I checked to see how big it was.........I couldn't believe the results.......

The size showed up as 36MB!!!!!! This was without the other 65 levels that I intended to include for the full version of MW3,as well as many more objects,sounds and music that I hadn't added yet. The "Block Rescource file" is 7.4 MB when it's compressed! I'm going to have to make at least another 2 "block resource files" if I am ever to put it on the levels page.

Also,to make up room I would have to split up the level file up into two sections,but this would probably spoil it.

I came across a solution......
On the Marathon level creator "Forge",you can merge levels together to make a scenario (I hope I've spelt that right! (in other words a big map)). I thought that we could merge level files together in the SQ Editor aswell,if Eric is willing to have a go at doing it. File size issues will be a thing of the past..........
www.youtube.com/thedodgyblokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
don_joe
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how merging levels would help file size.

I also don't see how an SQ set could get that big. Check to be sure all your object graphics are the proper size for object graphics (and that they're all in use). Check to be sure all of your sounds are in use and of reasonable size. Don't have a different music track for each level.
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you split the level file up into at least 2 parts,then it will be possible to upload it onto the levels file page,then when the downloader downloads them,they can merge them back together. Also,I only have about 10 sounds that I have put on it,and 2 music files,both very small. However,I have at least 200 objects (probably a lot more) altogether,but are not big in size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Don Joe is saying is that even if it is broken into two parts, people will still have to download the whole thing. Also, we will have to host the whole thing Smile Did you check your objects like Don Joe suggested? No reason to include un-used objects. I wish I could take a look at the file to give suggestions on how to cut it down, but I don't have any way of getting it unless you upload it to your own webspace. Do you have different background pictures for each level? That could easily be the culprit, especially if they are not tiling backgrounds.
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made very few levels with very few background pictures. As I said,I will post a preview of it soon ("oh my god how many files will there be?"). Well,there will probably be about 4 files that you will need to download
(there is absolutely nothing I can do about the file size).
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood DonJoe perfectly,but what I mean is that if the file is over 5MB when compressed,then if you cut them down into two files then it will be possible to upload them. I have made very few levels with very few background pictures. As I said,I will post a preview of it soon ("oh my god how many files will there be?"). Well,there will probably be about 4 files that you will need to download
(there is absolutely nothing I can do about the file size).
Pigbuster
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really care how long it takes to download.
Ive downloaded things for an hour before, and people use kazaa and download things that can take weeks! So I don't care about downloading, but uploading is a different matter. As I found out with my level file (Alien Scum) It took an hour to upload. A 24mb file would take... a long time. And just imagine! 10 seconds from finnally uploading it, a storm comes and zaps your computer, causing it to shut down. THAT would stink. I think splitting up the files would work somehow, maybe all the items being in a different resorce file. It would take less time to upload, and like I said, I dont care about downloading. As long as the level set is good. Rolling Eyes
DaFalcon
SQ Development Team
SQ Development Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why haven't you downloaded Mac Worm 3 preview yet? Razz
extraneus1249
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat I definitely agree with yor argument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Snake Quest Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: