Message Board Snake Quest Level Sets Snake Quest Editor Download Snake Quest About Snake Quest Snake Quest Home Text Navigation is at the bottom of this page.  Welcome to SnakeQuest.com!

Site Map Help Support Snake Quest Snake Quest Screenshots Snake Quest News Contact the authors of SQ Text Navigation at bottom of page

Snake Quest Forum Index Snake Quest
Snake Quest Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shooting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Shooting Reply with quote

Confused Confused Confused now guys, How do you make the snake fire bullets like on crazy ivan3?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
don_joe
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that it isn't black magic. The bad news is that it isn't simple either. You have to make lots and lots of complicated action lists.

Step 1. Make the snake graphic invisible. Allow about face. Make an action list that executes once per tick, finds the location of the snake, waits a tick, adds a firing trigger to that square, waits another tick, and removes it. (The result of this is that the only way to run into a firing trigger is to do an about face, and that doing an about face always runs into a firing trigger.)

Step 2. The firing trigger, when collected, needs to put the snake where it would have been had it not about faced, and going the direction that it would have been going had it not about faced. This requires detecting the snake's current direction, transporting it two spaces in the opposite direction from that, and reversing its current direction. On top of that, the firing trigger should call the action list(s) for firing the bullet; this action list must handle things like positioning and moving the bullet, and detecting whether the bullet has hit anything. Note that if you start the bullet from the snake's current position and moving in the snake's current direction, you will want the bullet to move faster than the snake so that the two separate.

Step 3. Make action lists to place the snake graphics in by hand. Make sure that they can handle the snake turning, the snake changing length, the snake firing the bullet, the snake crossing its own path (if it can do so), the snake dying (if the level doesn't reset when it does or if there are two players), the snake speeding up (if it can do so), the snake not moving for a tick (if it can do so), etc. You'll probably need to keep track of three things with respect to each tile: which direction the snake was moving when it entered the tile, which direction it was moving when it left, and how long ago (in steps) it did so. You'll also need to create objects representing the various combinations of these (there are 14 built-in, although you could of course have many more by making the body directional, or by having more segment types than just head, body, and tail (for example, a cobra might have a "hood" one tile behind the head; I think ededad may have done something like this once).

If all this doesn't make sense, then you probably can't make the snake fire bullets like on Crazy Ivan III; sorry. You could try copying and pasting the action lists from Crazy Ivan III, but since the firing list is connected to the bullet moving list, and the bullet moving list is connected to the objects (since I had to define what the bullet would do when encountering various objects), and those objects are connected to other action lists, you'd end up copying a whole lot of stuff that you didn't want and not being able to customize the bullets to act as you want them to act.

Another really, really good option is to post something to this thread in order to bump it back to the top of the Suggestions forum and convincing Eric to add an action key to the four direction keys (which virtually all other tron games have; in most it results in speeding up or slowing down) and sparing designers all this hassle. It would be trivial to do bullet firing if he would just give us an extra key and a level file setting for what action list to execute when it's pressed. In that time it would probably take you to figure out how to script the fire bullet action with the tools we have, Eric could add the feature to the next release of SQ (which is coming out in a few days, based on the expiration date on the current one) and release it to us. (Not that I don't fail not to doubt (in the original sense of the word "doubt") that Eric doesn't have any great reasons for not wanting to add it, but maybe if enough users requested it nicely he'd give it to us.)
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Now can somebody send a copy of crazy ivan3 so I can create a cool level set with it? Question Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how do you make a boss that takes many shots to kill?
don_joe
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Ivan III can be downloaded from the Levels page. It would take substantial work to modify it to the point of being able to create something new with it, though, so I don't recomment you try that route.

If you're thinking in terms of how to make a boss take x number shots to kill, give up now. The snake shooting bullets is not a feature of SQ. If you want the snake to shoot bullets, you have to script the whole thing by hand, both the action lists for the snake shooting (unless you manage to gather them from CI3 somehow) and the action list for the bullet.

But to answer your question... In the scripting for moving the bullet and testing to see whether it has hit something, if you determine that it has hit the boss, you can increment a global variable and check to see whether that variable has reached x yet: if it has, the boss dies (meaning you execute the action list that effects the boss's death); otherwise nothing happens.
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you. I did not know that. I just love using my imagination.
Mat
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,I have been able to make the snake shoot bullets in Mac Worm 3 (and my future coming hot classics!),so this shows that it can certainly be done.....but Snake,it ain't easy. Maybe when you gain a little more experienced with the SQ Editor you should try this feature.....then again maybe I'm wrong...
www.youtube.com/thedodgyblokes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Snake
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNOW, I AM NEW HERE GUYS. I JUST JOINED HERE A FEW MONTHS AGO! Evil or Very Mad
don_joe
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I remember when I was new. I had to build "Crazy Ivan's Solo Levels" having nothing to go on but the built-in levels and a Da Falcon preview set called "Temple of the Flames".

Ok, basic tip for designing levels. Forget the grandiose plans for now. Learn how to do things, and then come up with ways to put those things to use. As you come to understand what the various SQ features do, you can start using them in levels. A good starting point might be designing an object that moves around deterministically like the mines in Crazy Ivan III; it'll get you used to programming behavior with the action lists, without being impossible difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Snake Quest Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: